- People love “how-to” posts, illustrated with photos; they love lists “10 Ways To…” and reviews.
- Make your titles interesting, clearly related to the post topic.
- Fill in the “alt” tags on images with descriptive keyword that identifies the subject.
- Link to your own content within your posts.
- Create a Newsletter and publish it with interesting things to reward your loyal fans.
- Add at least one picture to each standard post (this is an “aside” post type).
I still use a regular digital camera, but the iPhone has made it so much easier to add photos to my blogs. It wasn’t too long after trying out Instagram that I wanted some quick and easy filters and effects on my iPhone photos for the blog.
Along comes advice to try out Camera+, a robust photo editing app for your phone. It makes it easy to add frames, filter effects and numerous tweaks to the original photo. I find it simple to use and learn.
I am actually ready to start upgrading to premium filters and frames; which says lots for the app, since I am notoriously
cheap frugal .
Right now I am experimenting to find the styles and effects that I like the best, but one feature that is a real time saver is the way it adds captions to the frames.
To see some of the latest results view the new garden journal blogpost summing up the garden in July.
This app is not expensive, and I think you should try it out. It has lots of ways to give Instagram-like frames and looks and many of its own, along with many editing tools to give variety and good looks to your phone photos. Easy to save and share, too.
I switched over to the pagespeed beta offered by Google, recently, It was a major hassle. I had a “bare domain”, this is, without the www. The service required that I switch to the www. form of the domain. I knew I was going to lose a major amount of SEO cred when I divided my domain like that and had all the redirects. What I didn’t know was how hard it would be just to change it. Perhaps that is yet another drawback to horrid Netfirms. The tech people finally helped to get it work at least part time, although I still come up with database error pages- just not all the time. I am hoping it gets ironed out.
Anyway. The switch from Cloudflare, which had so many problems with DOS attacks (not their problem, but still affected me) to Pagespeed beta has been less than stellar ( including the setback of changing my domain address). My google adsense dropped into the small change again.
Maybe when on a bad host like Netfirms you have to have a service like Cloudflare to handle all the bad traffic and problems from hackers? I wish I knew. I know what you are thinking, why not just change hosts? Well, I’ve been looking. Many of the recommended ones have been taken by the conglomerate that made Netfirms so unsatisfactory. Why work to change to something like that? So, I am still looking….
In the meantime, while Pagespeed has helped the problem of my need for faster pages and the use of a CDN, It is hard for a person like me, someone only a tiny bit knowledgeable about code, domain pointing, MySql and all that stuff. Not very user friendly for those like me.
And other amazing things from Lorelle
Do you know Lorelle? If you are working with a WordPress blog, you ought to. She has been around seemingly forever and I know that I gained alot of information and perspective on blogging from her posts in the past. Well, she has written an in depth article on how to make a proper link, and though for some of us that is basic html know-how, there are lots of newbies who find this sort of thing mysterious. Lorelle strips away the curtain of mystery and makes it all clear for you.
I found her directions for framing a proper link on one of her lesser known (to me) blogs, Lorelle Teaches. If you are new to blogging I believe you should bookmark Lorelle’s blog. It will come in handy.
I recently changed my theme template for blogger again. They have a vanilla one that is much like the one ported from Elegantthemes that I was using. I had changed the theme on my garden website, so I no longer needed something that related as closely. Still, I should brand it to relate to the whole “Ilona’s Garden” group of sites. Something else for the to-do list.
But -as usual- when I pressed the save button to change the template, I also had forgotten my customized add-ons. Using the related post’s scripts and the collapsible scripts means they should be added manually -before saving! Duh.
Anyway, the original post with both the code and directions for installing it are on the post, “Related Posts Widget”.
Now everything works again (still have to get the analytics and the collapsible code in place). One day I will remember to do all the fine points… I change themes and templates enough that it should be second nature by now.
Anyway, I love this code, it is so much better than the LinkIn one that I used before. I don’t like the way it takes over your keyword and has the link to distract people from what you hope they will do …read more of your posts!