This is a refreshing salad and perfect foil for Chicken paprikash. Great summer cold plate dish.
Hungarian Cucumber Salad, Uborkasalata
super easy refreshing salad for summers or with Hungarian entrees anytime.
- 2 Good fresh cucumber -I like the long English cukes.
- 1/4 cup A Light vinegar- white or white wine
- 2 tbsp water
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 5 scallions sliced
- (opt) fresh dill sprigs torn into little pieces
- First, use a vegetable peeler to get the cucumber sliced as thinly as possible, yet keeping the round slice.
- Then, mix vinegar and water to taste I like 1:2 ratio of vinegar to water. You may like it stronger... taste it to give the acidity you like.
- Sea salt and Cracked fresh black pepper to taste.
- Five or so scallions sliced thin
- Mix and refrigerate, covered, for an hour or more.
- That's it. If you have the dill sprinkle it on top for a nice variation.
Some recipes call for additions of sour cream or sugar. I like neither, but you can fix it that way if you want.Some add oil and I say "no,no, no" Alternative recipe:
- Slice thinly into a bowl, 2 Cucumbers washed and peeled.
- Sprinkle 2 teas. salt. and small onion. Mix and set aside 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, mix 3 Tbs. water, 1/2 teas. sugar, 1/4 teas. paprika, 1/4 teas. pepper.
- Squeeze cucumbers a little at a time, discarding liquid and put in bowl.
- Pour vinegar mixture over cucumbers and toss.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teas. paprika. Chill 1 hour.