Tahitian Limeade is as simple as making a limeade and adding some coconut water. If you live on a Hawaiian island you can pick up cold, ready made containers of it at health food stores, but if you are a Mainlander you can buy the coconut water (be sure it isn’t coconut milk), make your own limeade and add the touch of coconut. Chill. Close your eyes and pretend you are on a beach in Maui. Play some ocean sounds in the background….Follow this recipe from Coconut Girl (with lime juice subsituting instead of lemon)
- I pick 2-3 of the biggest, most yellow lemons off the tree. Roll them on the wood cutting board or counter top so they’re easier to juice.
2. In saucepan, with approximately one cup of purified water, medium heat, add approximately two medium scoops (maybe 1/3 cup) of raw sugar. Heat only until sugar can dissolve while stirring – quickly remove from heat. Of course, while this is heating you’re going to:
3. Cut lemons in half. Using a citrus juicer (cheap electric ones work fine, though if you’re rich go use your fancy industrial strength citrus press), juice all 4-6 halves (if your lemons are small add one more and/or one small lime for flavor). Should take all of two minutes!
4. As for the sugar mixture, add a few ice cubes -preferably made from pure (or de-chlorinated) water- to cool it down. Pour it into a glass measuring cup, then squirt some agave into the mix (approx. 1 tablespoon but who’s measuring) and stir that in. Then mix in a healthy pinch of Real Salt, Himalayan Crystal Salt or pure sea salt (Hawai’ian Specialty Salt -based in Hilo- works as well). Once it’s blended add a handful more ice cubes to cool it to approximately room temp.
5. It’s important to not heat the lemon juice! So, pour the juice into an empty glass lemonade jar or use a pitcher if you’re going to serve it. Add some cold or room temp purified water, then add the sugar water / syrup you made. Then fill the rest of the jar with more water to taste. Chill.
Looking for Limeade made with coconut milk?
Try this recipe instead:
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¾ cup water
- 2 Tablespoon raw honey
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- Blend all ingredients together and serve. Creates a very tart. refreshing drink.