A fascinatingly different taste for those who want an easy, yet exotic, appetizer. I have lots of eggs from my laying hens, and this sounds like good way to use them for either winter or summer parties and get-togethers.
Tea Egg Appetizerss
- 12 eggs hardboiled
- 3 cups water
- 3 tbsp lapsang souchong tea
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 star anise
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- rice crackers
- Cover eggs with water; bring to simmer; let sit for four minutes. Darin and rinse. Lightly crack the outside shell all over.
- Add all ingredients to the peppercorns in saucepan. Bring to boil then low simmer for 30 minutes. cool. Steep in liquid overnight.
- Take one cup of liquid and reduce by half. Mix 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise, sliced green onions, and cracked pepper in with reduced liquid.
- Peel 6 eggs, and slice. Chop the remaining peeled eggs and mix with the mayonnaise mixture to make an egg salad.
- Assemble appetizers: Put slices on rice crackers, top with a dollop of egg salad mixture, a sprig of cilantro and a bit of cracked black pepper.