Using small sausage pieces, wrap in the dough and attach the features, bake and serve these cute little piglets.
Dough For Piggies
To make piglet appetizers use this recipe for the dough to wrap up the sausages.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups flour set aside 1/4 cup of the flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix together the milk, sugar, and vegetable oil in a saucepan. Heat until the mixture is just below boiling. Let cool until lukewarm.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the liquid, waiting one minute
- Stir in 2 cups of flour, allow sticky, wet dough to rise for about 1 hour.
- After rising: Stir in the 1/4 cup flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in a little more flour til workable.
- Divide into 13 sections. Flatten dough balls into 4 inch rounds. Surround each 2 in. piece of sausage like a dumpling, making slightly oblong shape. Place on greased baking sheet, seam down. Finish al twelve sausage pieces.
- Let rise, covered, for 20-30 minutes; or until puffy.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Beat the egg and brush 3 of the dough balls with the egg wash. Take 13th ball of dough and make marble sized balls into snouts for pigs. Add to pig body and pierce with two toothpicks (which remain in while baking). Place eyes and then teardrop shaped ears.
- When all piglets are assembled bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Remove toothpicks.
This fun idea came from this blog, and tastes like the tried and true appetizer we all remember but with such a darling presentation that it looks brand new.