Bonus Apple Cake Recipes
If you liked my Szegedi Bundt Cake recipe, you might enjoy these traditional apple coffee cakes from Hungarian kitchens, as well.
Hungarian Apple Lattice Cake – Like a pie
Use a jelly roll pan or a cookie sheet with sides for this recipe.
This recipe was passed down from a “home cook”; many such recipes take for granted that you know something about baking. Be ready to adjust oven temperatures and times to fit your oven. Use good baking apples like Granny Smith, and if you need a clue to amount of sugar to use, borrow amounts from an apple pie recipe you like. Or add to filling and taste until you like the result.
Hungarian Apple Lattice Cake
This recipe was passed down from a "home cook"; many such recipes take for granted that you know something about baking. Be ready to adjust oven temperatures and times to fit your oven. Use good baking apples like Granny Smith, and if you need a clue to amount of sugar to use, borrow amounts from an apple pie recipe you like. Or add to filling and taste until you like the result.
- 8 cups flour
- 1 lb. butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 pint sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 8 apples thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs opt
- sugar to taste
- 2/3 cup walnuts ground
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- additional sugar and ground nuts for top
- Separate eggs into yolks and whites.
~~Mix dry ingredients~~
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and baking soda with butter in the method you would pie dough (cut in with pastry blender).
~~Mix liquid ingredients~~
- Beat egg yolks, add sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Combine liquid with dry ingredients.
- Divide dough into two pieces and roll out, not too thin. Line greased cookie sheet with one layer of dough.
- Combine the apple slices with graham cracker crumbs, ground nuts and arrange on bottom dough layer,
- Sprinkle with a couple teaspoons of sugar, dot with butter.
- Roll out second layer of dough, cut into strips. Arrange strips in lattice pattern over filling layer.
- Beat egg whites stiff and spread ( not too smoothly) over top of lattice. sprinkle with some added sugar and ground nuts.
- Bake at 375 degrees until light brown. Approximately 35 minutes.
Best Cake Apples
Firm, crisp apples, such as Galas, Granny Smiths, or Fujis
Take Cakes to Potlucks, Church Dinners, and Family Holidays
Easy Hungarian Apple Cake or Harvest Torte is one of those wonderful creations you can serve anytime, and they travel well. Make one to take to your next potluck dinner or volunteer one for a cake bake sale. Apples are available at all times of the year, but fall is the season we love to eat apple desserts like this one.
Apple Coffee Cake with Poppy Seed
- 4 cups apples diced, unpared
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon butter melted
- 1/2 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup flour sifted
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients together, stir well. Pour into greased 8x8x2 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes until done in 400 degrees (hot) oven.
- Cool, cut into squares, and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Take The Cake – With this Handy Carrier
If you go to potlucks or family reunions, or have need to transport one of your cake creations anywhere this cake carrier will come in handy.
Removable tiered cupcake trays make this a highly versatile carrier. Take your cakes and cupcakes safely to any event. Features include measures of 16 inches in diameter, collapsible lid, clip fasteners, handle, and it carries both round and square cakes.