Start Using Turmeric Today For Brain Benefits
If you have read about the health benefits of Turmeric, then the idea of increasing your cooking repertoire to include more of this golden spice into your diet is a priority. The world cuisines that traditionally value the flavor of this spice provide a wide number of new dishes to try.
Spices can aid your health.
Where Can I Find Recipes That Call For Turmeric?
East Indian Foods
Indian cuisine is a highly developed and distinctive one, so it is easy to find lots of recipes of all types. Start looking at the Yellow curries, since the spice gives foods a nice golden yellow color.
Curcuma longa is grown in mainly in India which is another reason to begin our journey of discovery in the foods of this part of the world.
Less well known, but greatly loved by many who try it, Indonesian foods often are made with the addition of curry powder. They have their own version of curries, as do Thai foods.
North African Foods
Another richly flavored trove of foods that include the flavorings we are looking for; plus this is another fabulous regional cooking.
Health Food Stores
The well known health properties of certain spices inspire cookbooks that are geared towards an aim of wellness. Those cookbooks are often stocked in health food stores. Check to see if they have a bookshelf of cookbooks that contain recipes for teas and drinks, as well as other ways to include more of an ingredient like this.
Be Experimental With Old Favorites
Love egg salad? Chili? Macaroni and potato dishes? Try adding some healthful spices to those old standbys. You might like them even better with some of the zing that you have added.
Be Sure To Try The Curry Egg Casserole
On this page, the egg and curry dish is easy, tasty, and is great with added turmeric. So healthy if you add side dishes of fresh and cooked fruits and veggies, all on top of a mound of rice.
For British Tastes
The British developed a taste for many of the Eastern spices when they became familiar with the cuisine of their colonies. They also have sizable populations of people with Indian and Pakistani heritage. If you love a British menu, try the menu of many sorts of recipes including Turmeric.
Indian Food Finds Favor
More and more people are discovering the delicious flavors of India.
Part of the good news story on this is the way spices are used in the daily dishes of this world cuisine.
Turmeric is strongly represented in many dishes. I love the flavors of Indian food and especially the home cooking of this book.
As one reviewer said, If you have room for only “one go-to book for Indian home cooking on your shelf…this is it”.
A new cuisine can seem daunting with its unfamiliar spices and ingredients, but starting simple with a collection like this is the way to enrich your diet and your repertoire.
- BBC – Food – Turmeric recipes
A bright yellow spice that comes from the rhizome of a plant in the ginger family. It is sometimes available fresh, but is usually sold dried and…
WHEN MAKING CURRIES, CONSIDER ADDING MORE TURMERIC TO THE READY MADE CURRY POWDER.
- Burmese Curry this recipe is very like the first curry dish I ever prepared. You will like it!
- Chicken and Pasta with Mustard Sauce
- Indonesian Soy Chicken
- Chicken Tikka Masala from Epicurious which calls for 4 teaspoons of our desired flavoring! Originally published in Bon Appetit.
- Indonesian Beef Rendang from Fine Cooking (one of the recipe sources I like best)
Considered As One Of The Tastiest Dishes In The World
Widen Your Culinary Horizons
The North African Kitchen: Regional Recipes and Stories
We can add more Turmeric into our cooking if we try out recipes from those cuisines that traditionally included the spice. Indian, North African, and others often are flavored with it.
Besides adding certain ingredients, the flavorful dishes of this region are exotic enough to be something different, but full of delightful tastes that we will soon find comforting and filling. That means it won’t be just a one time recipe or two- you will be making some of these marvelous flavors as a new part of your cooking repetoire, and add to your health while doing it.
Try It In Egg Dishes
Easy, Fast, Egg Curry Casserole
This is my standby for a busy day.
Egg Curry Casserole
- 4 slice mild cheese Muenster is good
- 4 eggs separated
- 1/2 pint dairy sour cream
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons curry or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Layer buttered casserole dish with cheese slices.
- In small bowl mix egg whites, sour cream, milk, and spices until well blended.
- Evenly space the yolks of the egg over the cheese (unbroken). Then pour egg white and sour cream mixture carefully around the yolks.
- Bake at 350 until set, about 30-45 minutes. Serve over toast with condiments.
Serve It With:
I like a side of green vegetable… steamed broccoli is my usual choice, although a salad of leafy green or kale would go nicely. Chopped cucumber salad could also be a refreshing summertime choice.
The bowls to accompany the curried eggs are according to what appeals most to you. A dab of Chutney really adds wonderful flavor to all ingredients.
Suggested side bowls:
Chopped fresh tomato
Tips For Cooking With Turmeric
- Add a pinch to oil in pan before sautéing.
- Use turmeric in acidic recipes: tomato-based dishes, dressings with vinegars, lemon juice.
- Protect your spices from light damage: keep in a dark place.
- Add to your grilling marinades; Turmeric inhibits carcinogens.
What should I look for when buying this spice?
Remember to use black pepper with tumeric for better absorption. any fresh spice is the best.
You can look for non-GMO types. Organic or Kosher are also other designations.
Not a Cure-all
Use additions of herbs and spices as healthy supplements to your diet, don’t expect them to be cure-alls.
It Does Have Health Benefits
- Benefits of Tumeric and Other Spices
Tumeric adds flavor, but did you know it also aids your health? Here is the low down on this and other anti-aging, great tasting spices.
Make A Tea with It
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower, cauliflower is a common vehicle for the flavor of this spice, and this was one of the better recipes for making it. It has some additional spice from ginger and zing from jalapeño.
- Glazed Green Beans, easy to spark up a family favorite.
- Spicy Carrot and Chickpea Tagine flavored with tumeric and cilantro
Turmeric can stain. Careful of your clothes and counters when cooking with it.
*Try equal parts hydrogen peroxide and dishwashing soap to clean.